As our new board and I officially begin our two year term, and since this is football season, I have identified ten items (yards) to make a first down in meeting our chapter’s goals of building the ASPE brand in Virginia, making ASPE Richmond valuable to its members, and doing some good for the community:
1. An effective and flexible Board of Directors: I can’t say enough about our Board. Teleconference meetings are held a few days prior to each monthly meeting and everyone contributes, is enthusiastic, and works well together. This criteria is already met – tenfold.
2. We need someone to head-up marketing. This will involve soliciting sponsors as well as exploring what the chapter can do for the community such as making presentations to schools about the estimating profession. This is an invaluable position that generates funds, gets our name out there, and works with our Membership Chair Don Wood to recruit recent grads.
3. Everyone is needed to assist our Programs Committee Chair Jacob Dyer. Jacob is in charge of lining-up programs for our monthly meetings. Give him feedback. If you liked a presentation, let him know. If you know if a speaker that you think the chapter would appreciate, let him know that too. This is a responsibility that he can’t do in a vacuum. He needs all of our input.
4. We need current members to bring guests. In fact, the board approved a reward for this – the member who brings in the most guests in the quarter, receives free admission to one of the monthly meetings. To make it totally irresistible, all current, dues paying, members can sponsor guests with the Chapter providing one free admission per guest each meeting!
5. Speak for ASPE: We need you to speak at events for other organizations such as AIA or AGC. This broadens our name recognition in the Greater Richmond construction community.
6. Speak to ASPE: Showcase your expertise by speaking at a meeting.
7. Nominate a company for Company Focus night: The board approved the concept of Company Focus night where the employees of the featured company would receive free admission to the monthly meeting and presentation. Including dinner!
8. Techies Needed: We are exploring telecasting our presentations and need someone with expertise in Webinars to come forward and head-up this effort.
9. Public Service Committee Chair needed: This will involve seeking out venues that the chapter could provide some public service and presents them to the board. It is imperative, for the success of our chapter, that our chapter gives back to the community.
10. Participate! Come to monthly meeting. Volunteer. Get involved. This chapter is dependent upon you being involved.
On a personal note, I would like to congratulate:
Congratulations to both of you!
For more information on any of the items above, contact Ron Semel at email@example.com
Don Wood, CPE
Quantum Consulting, LLC